Thursday, April 18, 2013

#AtoZchallenge Progress, not Perfection

Your Body is a Work in Progress

When I first started working out, I felt like every workout had to be perfect. Or it didn't count.

Yep, you heard that right. If I had an off day, I mentally beat myself up. Didn't run as fast as the last run? No good. Couldn't fit in my full 60 minute workout? Fail.

My need for perfection was ruining the joy in what I should have seen as success.



Every workout is a success -- just getting up off the couch and moving your body is progress.

Along the way, I learned to focus on progress, not perfection, to capture the joy in my journey.

Now, when I workout, I push for progress. One more rep or stronger execution than I did last time. One more calorie burned. One second longer or better form on a plank. It doesn't matter what it is, as long as I can see that I've found a place to see some small moment of progress.

Focus on slow but steady progress, and perfection no longer holds you captive. Getting back into a routine is progress. Choosing a healthy snack over a cookie is definitely progress. The key to sticking with anything is finding the joy, looking at the positive, and focusing on what you're doing well instead of what you haven't accomplished.

What progress have you celebrated lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment