Friday, April 19, 2013

#AtoZchallenge The Art of Quitting

For a girl raised in a house full of TV Dinners and Fast Food, where sports was something for boys, and a Twinkie and a Coke were an acceptable breakfast, I feel like I've made some significant changes in my life.

Still, giving up my food fixations is an ongoing battle. It's not rare for me to wake up craving a cookie, or have a stressful day and dream of lounging on the couch with a pint of Ben & Jerry's. No joke. That saying, "Stop rewarding yourself with food -- you're not a dog" may have been written for me.

It's not easy to give up the desire to eat my emotions away. When not being mindful, I'll find myself munching on french fries or tossing back chocolate cereal like a pill popper. Not a pretty image, but an honest one.

I've often compared my food issues with someone that has a drug or alcohol addiction. And why not? Fast food and processed foods are designed to chemically affect a person in a way to make you want to continue eating these things. These are foods geared to trigger your cravings to spike over and over again, creating a no-win situation for a person wanting a healthier life.

That's why I believe the best way to quit the fast food habit is to go cold turkey all at once. No cheat meals, no rewarding all your efforts to be healthy with a cheeseburger and fries.



Just quit eating crap.

Easier said than done, but not impossible. I have to remind myself of this all the time. I deserve a healthy body, and the effort that goes into creating a healthy life. This is especially important for me to remember when I have a series of bad days in a row! For me, a bad day can often mean bad food -- which just makes me feel worse! Having some go-to motivational sayings memorized and equipped as reminders of what is truly important to me is a great way for me to stay on the right path when it comes to quitting the fast food habit.

What do you do to keep your bad habits at bay?

No comments:

Post a Comment