Saturday, April 6, 2013

#AtoZchallenge - If Your Workouts Aren't Fun...

You're Doing it Wrong!

I have slogged through some seriously un-fun workouts. Things I thought I needed to do in order to be fit. Exercises I believed were necessary to reach my goals. I've gotten up at 4am to stumble bleary-eyed to my car and drive thirty minutes to a bootcamp I swore would be the answer to my prayer. I have even run through a parking lot with an elastic band around my waist, while dragging my trainer along behind me. Seriously. I dragged a grown woman around like I was a freaking horse and cart.


Now, some of those things may be your bowl of exercise happiness. They just weren't mine. And I don't know about you, but when I'm forcing myself to do something I don't have much passion for day after day after day? Eventually, I'm going to quit.

I am glad I've tried so many things. I've narrowed down the list of things that make my workout-happy meter plummet (running for more than a minute at a time!) and the things that make me feel strong, confident, energized, and like a super diva rockstar athlete of awesome-sauce (patent pending). Such as:
  • Lifting weights
  • Flipping giant tires around in my yard
  • Burpees (I know, right?? I'm not even kidding.)
  • Pretty much any metabolic workout, ever
  • Sprints! (See, I do love running sometimes!)
  • Any obstacle course 5k event I can afford
And more.

My point is, you don't have to force yourself to grumpily make it through a workout you hate. Experiment. Try new things. Play outside. You'll find what you love, and your body will thank you for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment