Tuesday, April 2, 2013

#AtoZchallenge - Body Image Makeover

Body Image

Okay, let's be honest. When women look in the mirror we don't always see the truth.


For instance, as I near my 40's, it would be easy for me to focus on:
  • Those random grey hairs popping up around my forehead.
  • New wrinkles. Daily. Seriously. How is that even possible?
  • My neck. Don't even get me started.
I could go on, but you get the picture. But the truth is, we all have things about our bodies we don't like. No body is perfectly symmetric, unmarked by time, or sculpted in marble.

And that's a good thing! Who wants to look like a stiff mannequin in a store window when you have a body you've been crafting since birth with its own unique story?

Too often, we focus on the physical look we think to be ideal instead of the physical and mental strength we posses. When I was growing up, my body image was destroyed because of the single purple scar that slashed across my face like an angry lightning bolt. This was well before Harry Potter was popular, so I didn't even have that going for me. As a teenager, I was my scar. I didn't have the tools to separate the scar from the real me. Because of the scar, I felt ugly, marred, imperfect, unwanted.

It took many years to be able to look in the mirror and see me, not just an ugly scar staring back from the looking glass.

But, like attitude, body image begins in the mind. These days, when I'm standing in front of the mirror, I do my best to look past those wrinkles and grey hairs. Instead, I purposefully remind myself of:
  • Strong bones and muscles that carry me through every day.
  • An easy-going smile shared freely with friends and family.
  • Stretch marks that carry memories of bringing two amazing boys into this world.
  • And yes, even grey hairs -- marking my years and the wisdom I've gained.
And again, I could go on. But you don't need my personal list of positive body image reflections.

You need your own. So go ahead. Take another peek in that mirror. What is truly staring back at you?

No comments:

Post a Comment